As a response to my task on power centres, I’d like to concentrate on giving characters a more believable purpose for the actions they are doing.
As an example:
I feel like animating a character running away from something and knocking over some rubbish bins in the process. Rather than just go ahead and animate that, I will give some consideration to the context of that animation within a larger narrative. Some questions that could be asked to inform the animation include:
- Who is he running from?
- Authorities (police).
- What did he do to justify running away?
- Minor crime escalated, police after him.
- How does he feel about that?
- Anxious, guilty, scared.
- Where is he going?
- Nowhere in particular, any location that is safe, the nearest location to escape to and come up with a bigger plan.
- How does all that inform his movement?
- Quicker pace, light steps, eyes darting around, high shoulders/low head
I created a small scene in which I applied these considerations.